Saturday, August 21, 2010

Viet Nam Winter Break 2009/2010


So, for my first "real food blog" post, I want to post something about my Vietnamese culture, something that turned me from that American girl, that knows some Vietnamese into that Vietnamese girl, who knows how to speak English. The event that undoubtedly did that was my Family Vacation to Vietnam during Winter Break of 2009. 

Because I never thought that I would start a food blog, the pictures are a little inadequate, but for now they should work.

So, my very first meal after a ridiculously long flight was at Bac Dung's house, my dad's best friend from the past and cousin. His wife prepared the meal which comprised of stir-fried squid (shown on the left and right in the picture) with bell peppers, tomatoes, and pineapples as well as Canh Chua, Vietnamese Sour Soup (the big pot) that came along with a mountain of Veggies and Banana Blossoms and simple deep fried fish.

The Squid was ridiculously awesome. When my brother and I took a bite of it, we've never tasted squid so tender and juicy. Squid served in America totally sucks now. The Canh Chua, it was probably the best I've ever had, sorry, mom. The fish that was in the Canh Chua was definitely not the usual catfish employed in my mom's. This fish was extraordinary, it was juicy and fatty. DELICIOUS, I can't remember the name of the fish, but according to Bac Dung's wife, it was the most expensive fish at the market that day. I just love how the Vietnamese treat their visiting Viet Kieu relatives.
Dad and his cousins chillin after lunch with some fruit.  I'm telling ya, fruit is the best way to end any Vietnamese meal. Look how red my papa is after drinking some afternoon beer.
Bac Dung and his daughter saying goodbye to us in front of their home/shop. Love how the Vietnamese set up shop in front and their living space is in the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment